How should be a lecturer?
- Study a topic from different authors (at least 4 - 5 different books).
- Explain the topic with different aspects.
- Explain the concepts with clear and minimum words. Do not beat the bush and do not elaborate on a concept/topic because of knowing very well. Stick on to the schedule.
- Do not entertain students to ask doubts rather anticipate all in advance and address in the classroom.
- To deliver 1 hour of talk minimum of 5 hours of preparation is required (For already handled subject 2 hours).
- Always be prepare and ready with one week of syllabus in advance.
- Prepare your notes in a notebook and carry that to the classroom. If struck, then only use it as reference else not. (AAfter handling the subject three to four times, your notes can be published as a book)
- Refer old lesson schedule while preparing a plan of action, and try to stick on it.
- 100% syllabus coverage is mandatory otherwise students will suffer a lot at the end. And also it is dishonest to the teaching profession (The left portion may be the foundation course for the next semester subject).
- Do not be lenient towards the student, especially in the classroom. Outside, be friendly with them and mentor them.
- Before handling any subject, one should study that subject thoroughly first (Mandatory).
- Do not focus on a particular student for the delivery of presentations. Have eye-to-eye contact with all students equally. Ask a few questions to bring them back.
- Do not give notes to avoid dictating lengthy content. Use full time for explaining the thoughts and ideas.
- Make a mindset on what to be covered and how much to be covered, before entering into the hall. And be confident inside the hall.
- Use the blackboard to the full extent for explanation. Write title, subtitles, important points diagrams on the board neatly with legibility. And see to that they jot by giving time. Engage complete stipulated hours properly. And while coming out, erase the board's content neatly.
- Do not lose temper if a student behaves mischievously. Call separately and try to address, if not then, bring to the notice of the higher authority/class teacher/HoD, at the earliest.
- Refer old question papers to know the pattern. Solve/deal all questions without missing.
- Evaluate students' knowledge properly with the help of well-framed questions. The result graph should be bell-shaped.
- Force students to use their potential to the fullest extent.
- Ask them to prepare notes of their own by referring books, and that should be plagiarism-free. It helps them with project report writing.
Current Education System (What I Saw)
During 1 - to - 10th standardDo not recommend homework, all required to be done during class hours (mental exercise). After class hours they should spend some time for physical exercise (sports). But, the irony of the current education system is giving lots of homework. Kids will not do, rather parents used to do that.
DegreeThe current system emphasizes on lots of spoon-feeding to get 100% result for the school/college so that next year admission become full.
But, the teaching should be minimum in the classroom, with lots of own practical exploration by the students that to recommend after the class hours, which is not happening in the current education system.
Mistakes from the faculty sideIn some of the cases, the evaluators' evaluation found quite liberal may be in internal, external, and lab evaluations in spite the candidate is not deserving.
Sometime faculty may take as ego problems if marks not feed for their taught subject.
But the evaluation should be honest and transparent for the progress of the mankind.
How should be the marks scale ...A student internal marks should be the mirror image of the external marks. (If 100% marks scored in the internal then the same student should be able to score at least 95% in the external)
Valuation & Evaluation system mistake, do not blame the student / facultyIt is one of the most difficult and next to impossible task of the education system. No clear-cut method is available to evaluate a particular student. Factors like the mood, situation, setup, environment, time, family status, need, influences to a very great extent. It holds-good for both students and faculty.
Money matters a lot in anybody's life. Faculties not excluded from it. Valuation is a duty and day-by-day becoming a means of additional earning mechanism. The majority of the valuate transformed themselves as Evaluation Machine (By sacrificing the ethics and morale of the profession to cope with the rapid progress and to survey in the society).
In the final exam on an average of 15 to 20 pages will be written in the answer booklet/script by a student (Engineering). Assuming an evaluation is a fast reader and takes one minute to read one page, so 15-20 minutes required to read one answer script (but not to study). To study more than this is required. With this speed, the total time required to evaluate 30 answer scripts is 600 minutes, which is 10 hours (which is not possible continuously). The next day the same mind and same temperament is required, which is almost impossible. Second day 40 scripts, and third day on-wards 50 scripts given for the valuation. I do not think one can give justice to this work.
The ironyAn evaluator evaluates 50 scripts in 4 hours. In such a case, how can we give justice to the work? It is hampering our education system quality. The evaluates made responsible for the degradation of the education system we need to correct our-self first in this regard.
Duty and responsibilities of facultyIt is better to appoint a full time passed out Ph.D. degree holder for the Professor post unless otherwise an extraordinary case. A Professor should made to teach only one subject of their specialization. A professor should get funding projects from different funding agencies. Each Professor should be attached with at least one Associate Professor, and two Assistance Professors, for the work, along with two students (Masters and Bachelors). It should look like a Pyramid structure.
A Professor must establish a super-specialized lab fully funded by the external funding agencies for the descendant. And the prime aim should be focused on the development of the world with the knowledge dissemination. And also, the Professor should become an agent between many funding agencies (including Govt.), industries, and educational institutes.